Delmer Roy Brandvold

Male 1932 - 2009  (76 years)

Personal Information    |    Notes    |    Sources    |    All    |    PDF

  • Name Delmer Roy Brandvold  [1
    Born 12 Oct 1932  Macklin, Saskatchewan, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location  [1
    Gender Male 
    Occupation Mechanic Find all individuals with events at this location  [1
    Died 27 Jan 2009  Lloydminster, Saskatchewan, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Person ID I06226  Julie Batzloff
    Last Modified 30 Jan 2019 

    Father Martin Alfred Brandvold,   b. 14 Jul 1886, Starbuck, Pope, Minnesota Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 21 Jul 1975, Lloydminster, Saskatchewan, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 89 years) 
    Mother Mabel Excellia Liljengren,   b. 6 Nov 1893, Lafayette, Nicollet County, Minnesota Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 21 Jan 1951, Lloydminster, Saskatchewan, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 57 years) 
    Married 29 Oct 1923  Asquith, Saskatchewan, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Family ID F2619  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

    Family Shirley Mae Richards,   b. 19 Jul 1935, Meadow Lake, Saskatchewan, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 30 Mar 2007, Lloydminster, Saskatchewan, Canada (Lloydminster Hospital) Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 71 years) 
    Married 15 Sep 1954  Lloydminster, Alberta Find all individuals with events at this location  [1
     1. Living
     2. Living
     3. Living
     4. Living
     5. Living
     6. Living
     7. Living
     8. Living
    Last Modified 30 Jan 2019 
    Family ID F2649  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

  • Notes 

    • Birth: Oct. 12, 1932
      Saskatchewan, Canada
      Death: Jan. 27, 2009
      Saskatchewan, Canada

      Delmer Roy Brandvold passed away peacefully Tuesday, January 27, 2009, with his family by his side, at the age of 76. He leaves to mourn his eight children: Duane & June, Wade, Debbie & Dwayne, Wendy & Duff, Sandy & Cam, Wes & Roxanne, Julie & Bob, Brad, 11 grandchildren, and numerous brothers & sisters-in-law, nieces, nephews & cousins.
      He was predeceased by his wife, Shirley, in March 2007, his parents, Martin & Mabel Brandvold, his sister, Audrey Willoughby and his brothers, Henry & Floyd Brandvold.

      Eulogy of Delmer Roy Brandvold

      Dad was born October 12th, 1932 in Macklin, SK to Martin and Mabel Brandvold. He was the youngest of four children. His siblings were Henry, Floyd and Audrey.
      He was raised on a farm 6 miles North of Macklin and went to a one room country school. While growing up, he kept active by playing ball, soccer and rugby. His parents' boarded teachers; one in particular he remembered was Miss Peacock who Uncle Floyd nicknamed "pea hen".
      At the age of 10, he moved from Macklin to the Earlie District, south of Kitscoty. During this move, somewhere around Provost, the chickens had gotten out and they chased them, even tackling them to get them back in their cages. They had rented farms, one being the Johannson farm. One time, Dad, Floyd and Carl Johannson after participating in a calf roping competition in a rodeo, decided to bring their "skills" home. They tried to rope the turkeys, but apparently that didn't work out too well.
      One day in October of '45, Dad rode his pony 'Shorty' to school and didn't return home on time. The weather was bad; the roads were muddy, and slippery. When he finally arrived, he was doubled over on 'Shorty'. The horse had slipped, fallen, and thrown Dad off. Neighbor, Alex Miller, took him to the Lloyd Hospital where emergency surgery had to be performed because he had ruptured his intestine. Dad used to tell us that he was the only man in the world with dual belly buttons, referring to the scar above his belly button.
      During the winter of 1950, Dad's family moved to Lloydminster, due to his mother being ill. Jobs were not plentiful at the time but they always managed. Dad's first job was with George Cummine, putting in telephone poles. During seasonal layoffs, he also found work at the Husky Refinery, Rendeck Construction and then Eatons in 1952, where he met the love of his life, Mom.
      April of 1953 was their first date which was a Friday night dance in Earlie. Come Monday morning, they both had to endure quite a bit of teasing at work, but their relationship flourished. On Mom's eighteenth birthday, July 19th, 1953, Dad asked Mom to marry him. (We're pretty sure the answer was 'yes') and they were married a little more than a year later on September 15th, 1954. This began a storied fifty-three year marriage, which bore eight "wonderful" children over the next seventeen years.
      The first year Mom and Dad went camping together; they borrowed a tent from Aunt Audrey and Uncle John. They packed everything but the kitchen-sink and headed out to BC, stopping in Calgary the first night. It was dark and there was heavy dew while trying to figure out what pole went where on the tent they had never set up before. We kids were so helpful, we brought out the bedding before the tent was ready, and most of it got wet. Oh what joy we must have spread that night...
      Dad worked at various mechanical jobs including Hunter's (later Foster's Sport and Marine Center), ICG, Scotty's Rentals and Sales, and then opened Brandvold Gas Appliances. In between these various jobs, he had his own small motors and bicycle repair shops, as well as being a distributor for Mac Tools. His final job was with Bob Jack's Sheet Metal. He truly loved his job and the people he worked with there. Our family would like to express our sincerest thanks for treating our Dad so well during his time with them.
      In the past while, we've thought about all the times growing up we saw him fix or build something and how many people may not have a father who had those skills. It was then, we began to realize the impact he has had on the lives of everyone outside of his family, yet this was something we had simply taken for granted.
      He truly was a "Jack of all trades" and a master of all of them. Each one of his kids took turns over the years to "hold the flashlight" for him while he fixed something or other. Dad always had a project or a house renovation going. He could be knee deep into something, struggling with it but the project was always fixed or completed. In fact, we all had a little "adjusting" to do when we moved out of the house. Growing up, when we had seen something broken during the day by morning, it was miraculously fixed and ready to be used.
      Dad wore a lot of "hats" in his life for whatever was needed ~ be it a plumber, electrician, carpenter or mechanic; he always seemed to have just the right "hat" for the job.
      He took pride in whatever he was working on and it always showed. Whether it was fixing someone's lawnmower or building a keepsake trunk for one of his grandchildren, pride showed in the quality of his workmanship.
      Dad's last project was renovating his garage. He and Debbie spent many days and evenings together going through the inventory. There was always a story about a found lost treasure. This is a memory that Deb will hold dear to her heart forever. Unfortunately, this was the project he wasn't able to finish, but he was very proud of how far he had got with it.
      Jobs changed, times changed and lots of dirty diapers were changed but their simple, modest way of life did not. The day would begin with Dad waking us in the mornings singing "On the Wings of a Snow White Dove..." and if you didn't get out of bed right away, he would begin to Yodel!!! (This is quite something if you've never heard it). He'd have prepared a mountain of toast on the table for us before we all headed off to school, work or what-have-you. Congregating again for lunch, usually with an extra mouth or two with us, anyone was always welcome; older kids picking the younger ones up at day care and heading home to do chores and start supper before Mom and Dad joined us again. The nights filled with stories of the day, visitors for coffee and a ruckus game of cards which would include everyone, youngest to oldest if they were so inclined.
      Weekends began with a square dance on Friday night at the Elks Hall where some of our family's life long friends were made, many of whom are in this church today.
      Square dancing, round dancing and old time dancing were activities our parents enjoyed their entire lives and became a theme which touched the lives of all of us.
      Camping trips to various lakes, golfing, fishing and general relaxing with friends on Saturday usually with the customary dance that night was a common occurrence. A potluck supper and barbecue with everyone was always a highlight of the weekend as well.
      On the weekends when we weren't camping, Saturday nights we would all pile into the station wagon or van and go to a movie at the Drive-In, south of town. Playing on the swings in our 'jammies' then watching the double feature, snacking on homemade sandwiches, kool-aid & wagon wheels until all the kids fell asleep and quietly making our way home will be in our memories forever.
      As well, many Sundays consisted of drives through the countryside, ending in a ball game at Weaver Park, followed by a wiener roast or maybe 5 cent ice creams at A&W Drive-In or Sellers Dairy Freeze.
      Special holidays and weekends also consisted of trips to the cabin at Perch Lake, then later at Sandy Beach, camping, or Dad teaching us how to ride bikes, coaching us in ball, or how to drive.
      Winter weekend events would often include: Going skating on a slough, chopping ice to make homemade ice cream and tobogganing on an old car hood.
      Dad & Mom were very much a part of the church with Dad ushering for the services, helping with Church maintenance, and Mom being in the Choir. This was a part of our lives growing up, which instilled values and faith in all of us.
      Dad was very much a family man and we all feel that we are the people we are from the example Mom and Dad set for us. The goodness in all of us is derived from them.
      I remember teasing him about never being able to tell the kids at school that "My Dad's bigger than your Dad" but he made up for that with the size of his heart.
      He always put himself last in the care he gave Mom during her final years; raising his children and helping anyone who needed it.
      Dad never complained, judged and was not a negative person his entire life. I've thought many times in my life...If I become half the person my Dad is, I will have truly accomplished something. He belongs on a pedestal but of course, he never thought so. It's safe to say, our Dad was our hero.
      He kept his sense of humor even through his last days with us. He would have a big smile on his face when he heard us giggling about something, and would throw a comment out there that made us all laugh even harder.
      Dad always had funny 'one-liners' like "I wish I was born rich instead of good looking" or "Pull my finger" and for those of you who don't understand that last one...Debbie will explain later.
      Dad was very proud of all of us and especially his grandchildren. You were all very special to him. His only wish for us all was to "be happy with ourselves and happy with what we were doing". He was a man of few words with a gentle demeanor. While growing up, never wanting to disappoint him, each of us in our own way would say "Dad, come look at what I've done..." In his unspoken way, he would make us realize what we should really be focusing on which is "Be proud of yourself"
      Hard-working, honest, patient and humble are all characteristics which have been used to describe our Dad, but gentle, generous and loving are the ones, we his children, will cherish the most when we think of him. One special member of the family, Dad's best friend, Lucky, will miss him dearly.
      There is poetry to Mom & Dad's first date being at a dance, because dancing became the major theme within their relationship for the next fifty-three years. It was a way of life for them and they were awesome at it. We kids loved to watch them Old time dance, square dance and round dance. They would truly float across the floor. We will treasure every memory of our Dad; and be at peace knowing he's gone to dance with Mom once again.
      He was a wonderful father, grandfather, uncle and friend to everyone whose path he crossed. He made friends easily and always held them dear to his heart. A Saturday morning tradition that Mom & Dad always looked forward to was breakfast and a visit at Arby's with Jack & Gail Robertson. It continued to be a special time for Dad even after Mom's passing.
      Dad…our lives will never be the same without you. We cherish the time we had. You are loved and will be missed.
      We would like to express our deepest thanks to everyone for being here today.
      Special thanks go to Doctors and Nurses for all the heartfelt & compassionate care you gave Dad during his time at the hospital. And to all who visited, prayed and shared thoughts & well wishes. It truly is a testimony of how loved Dad was.

  • Sources 
    1. [S001760] Liljengren2002.FTW.
      Date of Import: Aug 10, 2002